The design of shoes has varied profoundly through time, from culture to culture with appearance being tied to function. Additionally, fashion has often dictated many designs elements, such as whether shoe have very high heel or flat ones.
Shoe is a type of footwear intended to protect and comfort the human foot from injuries. Shoes varies widely in style, complexity and cost depending on who they are meant for either men or women, babies or adults. It is thought that shoes may have been used long before this, but because the materials used were highly perishable, it is difficult to find evidence of the earliest footwear. The earliest shoes are sagebrush bark sandals dating approximately 7000 to 8000 BC, found in the fort rock cave in the USA state of Oregon in 1938. These earliest designs were very simple in often design mere foot bags of leather to protect the feet from rocks, debris, cold and dangerous living organisms such as snakes and scorpions found on the ground. They were commonly found in colder climates.
As technology and civilization began to develop, thong sandals ( the precursor of the modern flip-flop) were worn and were made from variety of materials. As an integral part of human culture and civilization, shoes have found their way into our culture, folklore and art. A popular 18th century nursery rhyme is “there was an old woman who live in a shoe” which I believe was read by many. This story tells about an old woman living in a shoe. Shoes, also play and important role in the fairy tales Cinderella and the red shoes. In a movie adaption of the children’s book the wonderful wizard of Oz.
Technology and fashion
As technology keep advancing so our fashion lifestyle keep improving. High fashion shoes are made from expensive materials, used complex constructions and are designed for specific purpose such as boots designed specifically for footballers, basketballers, mountaineering, and so on. New designs and ideas keep coming which help to improve life quality and enable one participate in a society, social gathering, occasions and outings.
Different shoes designed for different Purposes
are designed to serves different purposes and these include:A
- Athletics shoes: these kinds of shoes are designed specifically for various sports. Considering the friction between the foot and the ground is an important force in most sport, so the modern athletic shoes are designed to minimize this force, to provide proper balancing. Many athletic shoes are designed with specific features to specific activities e.g
- roller skates: which have metal or plastic wheels on the bottom specific for the sport of roller skating.
- Ice skates: have a metal blade attached to the bottom for locomotion across ice.
- Cycling shoes: are designed with rubber soles and a metal or plastic cleat to interface with clip fewer pedals, as well as a stiff sole to maximize power transfer and support the foot.
- Climbing shoes: these are rubber soles tight-fitting shoes designed to fit in the small cracks and crevices for rock climbing.
- Also, shoes designed specifically to the sport of basketball are double- layer canvas shoe with rubber soles and toes caps, and a high heel( known as high top) for added support and balance.
2. Dance shoe: for something activities such as dancing or bowling, sliding is desired so shoes designed for these activities often have lower coefficient of friction.
3. Dress shoes: they are designed purposely to compliment the person’s look. They are mostly used for co-operate dresses, by people working in an office, used at worship place and other organizations. And they are also used during spacial occasions such as wedding ceremony and so on. They are characterized by smooth and simple leather uppers, leather soles, and narrow sleeks figure. The upper part of dress shoes are often made without aperture or openings, but may also be made with opening openings or even itself Consist a series of traps.
Fashion shoes designed for men
Men’s shoes are categorized by how they are close, they are designed in such as way that they fit perfectly and also indicate one status and wealth.
- Derby shoes: these types of shoes, the laces are tied to two pieces of leather independently attached to the vamp; also known as open lacing and is a step down in dressing. If the lace are not independently attached to the vamp, the shoe is known as a Blucher shoe.
- Balm orals: the vamp has a v-shaped slit to which the laces are attached; also known as closed lacing.
- Monk-straps: they make used of buckle and strap instead of lacing.
- Siphons: they do not have lacing or fastenings.
- Plains- toes: they have a sleek appearance and no extra decorations on the vamp.
- Cap-toes: they have an extra layer of leather that caps the toe.
- Brogues: the toes of the shoe is covered with a perforated panel, the wing-tip, which extends down either side of the shoe.
Fashion shoes designed for women
Living in a world where the population of women is 2 times of the men, there is a large variety of shoes available for women. Some categories are;
- mules: these are shoes or slippers with no fitting around the heel.
- Court shoes: also known as pump, they are typically high-heeld, slip-on dress shoes.
- High-heeld shoes: these are footwear that raises the heels, typically 2inches. Or more above the toes, commonly worn by women for formal or social occasions and outings.
- Sling backs: are secured by a trap behind the heel, rather than over the top of the foot.
- Ballet flats: are shoes with very low heel and a relatively short vamp, exposing much of the instep. They are popularly used for warm-weather and may be seen as more comfortable than shoes with higher heel.
Designed shoe for both men and women (unisex)
Some designs of dress shoes can be worn by either gender, this includes;
- sandals: these types of shoes are used virtually by everybody, they are open shoes consisting of a sole and various straps, leaving much of the foot exposed to air. They are popular for warm weather because they let the foot be cooler than a Close-toed shoe would.
- Boat shoes : also known as deck shoes similar to a loafer, but more casual.
- Plat form shoes : shoes with very thick soles and heels
- slippers: For indoors use, commonly worn with house dress.
Looking good is very prominent in our society today and I believe our appearance on daily basis matters a lot, the type of shoes we put on signify and tell more about us, it’s shows our status.
I hope you learned something from my content. If you do have any question, comment and suggestion I will be very glad to hear from you soon. Thanks